For most of the past six years I have been wearing black leggings on a near daily basis. My regular uniform is compromise of mostly black items for a variety of reasons I will get into later, but suffice it to say I am an expert of sorts in the leggings department. That being said, of the many pairs I have owned, my Girlfriend Collective leggings are my all-time favorite.
I brought these leggings on my trip to Asia and wore them more often than you’d think given the hot, humid temperatures at the time. I’m also planning to test these on my upcoming trip to Seattle where five to the Suitcase Six will spend the weekend, and my two-week trip to Chicago, Netherlands, Belgium, and New York to confirm my thesis.
I was lucky enough to score these leggings as part of Girlfriend Collective’s pre-launch, but the spring line should be released soon and available online. If you are in the market for a new pair, I highly recommend this brand.
Here are six reasons why you should consider buying these leggings the next time you’re shopping around.
- The leggings are made with recycled fabrics.
- Girlfriend Collective is SA8000 certified (the garment industry equivalent of fair trade)
- They are super snug and form fitting, and haven’t lost their elasticity after many washes and countless days of wear and tear.
- They are high waisted! (At least the leggings offered in the launch.) I love this feature when traveling because it means I can still pair them with my crop tops if I don’t want to show my stomach AND I can nurse the belly aches that often accompany indulgent trips to street markets or cute cafes abroad.
- They have a tiny pocket on the inside, upper back side which is perfect for discretely carrying cash, identification, keys, or even a credit card while traveling. It can be risky to carry a purse around in some locations abroad, especially if you stand out as a tourist. No matter what you do, people will be more likely to assume you are carrying valuables if you have a purse or bag than a person without one.
- The fabric is quick-dry. Girlfriend Collective recommends washing the leggings on the cold-cycle and hang drying them, which they note reduces energy use and is the best method for the environment.
If you’ve tried these leggings, let me know if you agree or if you prefer another brand instead!