Whether you’re the type of person to throw all your things together in a suitcase an hour before heading to the airport or the type who labors over every item anxious to forget something important, packing can be a stressful challenge.
Here are six steps to packing your bags stress-free, no matter where you’re going or how long you’re staying.
- Figure out your the weather where you’re going.
- Determine what kinds of activities you’ll be doing.
- Inquire what limits your airline has for carry-on baggage and costs of checking a bag.
- Make a list of the items you NEED to bring on the trip, and a list of items you’d like to bring if you have space.
- Collect all your packing list items and determine what you need to buy, if anything, before your trip.
- Test the items in your suitcase to make sure you have things you can wear together, your walking tennis shoes are comfortable, your chargers actually work, etc.
I highly recommend comparing your packing list with your travel partners if you are wandering with friends – you can cut down on lots of items to lighten your load if you don’t mind sharing. Split up items like hair brushes, sun screen, makeup, or books between you and your friends so you don’t have to carry so much in your own pack. Don’t forget that you will likely be tempted to shop around wherever you go so pack light enough that you save room for souvenirs!
This section of the Suitcase Six page will be full of packing advice we’ve accumulated from our own travels. I’d love to hear from others though. Tell me about your packing methods and what works for you!