Costa Maya – Mexico: A popular ocean retreat offering clear, blue waters, restaurants, shopping & recreational activities. Mayan history abounds throughout the coast for history and culture lovers.
What to Do in Costa Maya, Mexico
Rent a Golf Cart to Explore: Rent a golfcart or “buggy” and explore Costa Maya. It’s quicker to get to the restaurants and beaches further from port (where there tend to be less crowds)!
Beach Day: Puerto Costa Maya is known for its beautiful beaches, so spend some time soaking up the sun and enjoying the clear waters. You can rent beach chairs, umbrellas, and other equipment for water activities such as snorkeling, kayaking, or paddleboarding. Popular beaches include:
La Bamba Beach
Maya Chan Beach
Cultural Tour or Excursion: After lunch, you can explore the local culture and history by visiting some of the nearby attractions. You can book an excursion to the ancient Mayan ruins of Chacchoben or Kohunlich, or visit the local cultural center to learn more about the Mayan civilization.
- Chacchoben: Settlement by the Maya at the site is estimated at 200 BC, and the structures date from 700 AD. It is characterised by large temples and massive platform groups.
- Kohunlich: Protected Mayan ruined settlement, the original pre-Columbian name of which is unknown.
Try Local Chocolate & Tequila: Visit the local chocolate factory or tequila distillery to taste some of the region’s specialties.
Shopping and Souvenir Hunting: Puerto Costa Maya has a variety of shops and markets where you can find souvenirs, handicrafts, and other local products.
Faro de Mahahual: Rent a segway or take a walk down the beach to the Mahahual Lighthouse and enjoy Costa Maya away from the crowds.
Sunset Dinner: As the day winds down, head to one of the beachfront restaurants or bars to enjoy a delicious dinner with a stunning view of the sunset. You can try some of the local specialties or enjoy some international cuisine.
Where to Eat in Costa Maya, Mexico
While Puerto Costa Maya is primarily a cruise port and shopping destination, it offers a variety of dining options. Here are some recommended places to eat in Puerto Costa Maya:
- Luna’s Restaurant & Bar: A lovely beach side restaurant with generous portions, down the beach a ways from the crowds.
- Nohoch Kay: Extremely fresh fish, extensive menu and casual mood make this place one of the best in Mahahual.
- Tropicante: A beachfront restaurant serving a fusion of American and Mexican cuisine, offering delicious dishes such as fish tacos, burgers, ceviche, and refreshing cocktails.
- MALECóN 21 | Beach Club & Restaurant: Classic snacks as well as lively dishes with lobster & local seafood.
- Krazy Lobster Bar & Grill: Located right on the waterfront, this lively restaurant is known for its fresh seafood, including lobster, shrimp, and ceviche, as well as its vibrant atmosphere and live music.
- La Chilangaloense Mezcaleria & Cevecheria: Your spot for ceviche, mezcal-based cocktails, right from the beach.
- Pizza Papi Pasta: If you’re craving the comforts of home while in Costa Maya, hit up this well-reviewed pizza and pasta joint for some Italian favorites.